For musicians who want to book a lot of high-paying performances, breaking into the wedding scene can be a great option. Weddings are a great source for high-paying gigs, and are still going strong with over 2 million of them in the US happening in 2018.
Whether you want to play for couple's rehearsal dinners, ceremonies, cocktail hours or receptions, booking couples starts with them finding you. Given than most business in the US is conducted online, having an online presence is an absolute must!
Once you establish your online presence, getting couples to find your website (also known as driving traffic) is an extremely important piece of the puzzle. Simply putting up your website and submitting it to Google will not be enough. There are so many sites out there targeted at couples getting married that your site might not even show up on the first page of Google (and most people don't look past the first page!).
Listing your group on many partner sites will help boost your rankings on Google, and will help couples find you in a variety of ways. We've compiled a list of several websites that you can list your musical group for either free or for a fee. Check it out below:
- Google Business - (free) registering here is what makes those high-impact business listings appear on the right-hand side of Google Search results.
- Facebook - (free) having a Facebook page for your musical group is a must! Having the discipline to post regularly can help you with your following (and bookings!)
- YouTube - (free) creating a YouTube Channel for your group is super helpful. Nothing helps a couple decide to book you more than seeing your group in action.
- Instagram - (free) having an Instagram account for your musical group is more important than ever. Couples are more frequently finding their wedding vendors through Instagram. Find your city's wedding hashtags and go wild!
- Pinterest - (free) couples use Pinterest to create idea boards for their wedding vision. Why not make it easy for them to include your group in their planning?
- WeddingWire - (free, premium listings available) a nation-wide online directory focusing on weddings featuring several categories of vendors (including Ceremony Musicians, Wedding DJs and Wedding Bands).
- The Knot - (free, premium listings available) similar to WeddingWire (in fact, they're both owned by the same company).
- BookLive - (free) you can set up a Group EPK on BookLive to be found by couples hiring musicians.
- Pridezillas.com - (premium listings only) a nation-wide online directory focused on LGBTQ+ friendly wedding vendors.
- GigMasters - (premium listings only) a nation-wide online directory of all event service providers.
- GigSalad - (free, premium listings available) a nation-wide online directory of all event service providers.
- Thumbtack - (free to list, quoting fee applies) an online directory for local business which charges a quoting fee to respond and send your pricing to prospective clients.
- Yelp - (free, premium listings available) mostly everyone is familiar with Yelp for restaurants and other local businesses, but you might be surprised to know that you can list your musical group on Yelp!
- Angie’s List - (free, premium listings available) similar to Yelp.
And lastly, here are a few more options that are similar to the ones mentioned above.
As a wedding musician, it can be difficult to find the time to add this to your plate. Using a tool like BookLive can get your time back so that you can focus on doing things that get your booked more!
Please let us know if you think there are more resources we should add to this list by dropping a comment below. May all your performances be spectacular!